A quick summary - food, beverages, public speaking and training:
- Elliot's book, Use Wine to Make Sense of the
World, was published in 2010. His guide, Public Speaking: Face It, Don't Force It was published in 2012.
- Elliot is a Certified Specialist of Wine (CSW) and Certified Specialist of Spirits (CSS) as recognized by the Society of Wine Educators.
- As a reporter, reviewer and lecturer, Elliot hosts tastings and private wine events, in
addition to giving public presentations about wine and food issues.
- Elliot was a 2005 nominee for the James Beard Foundation Journalism Award in
the Spirits, Wine or Beer category for his article on Mexican
- In 2007 Elliot earned the Wine & Spirit Education Trust Advanced Certificate in Wines
& Spirits (with Distinction).
- Elliot holds a Blue Ribbon Diploma in Professional Baking and Pastry Skills from the
Institute of Culinary Education in New York.
- Elliot earned a Degree in Mixology from the International School of Bartending in New
- Elliot is a Langevin Learning Services - Certified Instructor/Facilitator.
- Elliot qualified as a Brainbench.com - Certified Business Writer (99th percentile score
So How is All This Connected?
- Law Degree (J.D.) Fordham University, New York
- B.A. Fordham University College of Liberal Arts, New York
- Advanced training in French language, Dialogue School, Belgium
A few personal touches:
- Law school led to a five-year stint in legal publishing as a writer and editor, after which
Elliot branched out for ten years as an independent ghost-writer, editor, and computer
consultant. Strong background in the French and German languages gave him concurrent
work as a business translator.
- Elliot's work with writing and editorial clients in the fragrance and cosmetics industry led
to marketing consulting and field training assignments, during which he used and also
developed his public speaking and training skills.
- After completing cooking school later in life, Elliot moved into newspaper food writing,
specializing in articles about kitchen techniques, giving historical and cultural perspective on
food and beverage issues, and eventually earning the James Beard Award nomination for his
writing, as well as several other journalism awards.
- The final combination of everything Elliot has done involves wine. His careful articles
and reviews of individual wines and his involvement in community wine tastings and events
unite his communications skills with his strong intellectual interest in wine, food, culture,
history, geography, and language.
- Elliot lives in Larchmont, New York, and spends a good deal of time at wine and food events, as well as French and German language activities.
- Elliot is an avid tennis fan, and will talk about the sport in detail if not stopped.
- Elliot plays blues and jazz on the guitar and piano.
- Elliot has a son (Thor Bjarke Essman) who is married and lives in Melbourne,
Australia. Elliot's granddaughter Selena was born in 2008. Grandson Lenox arrived in 2010.
- It should come as no surprise that Elliot enjoys food, wine and entertaining.
- Elliot's Current Contact
Elliot's Facebook Page
James Beard Award Nominee Elliot Essman
Elliot Essman is available for custom writing assignments ranging from tasting notes for
individual wines to full-length wine and culinary books. Of course he remains ready to review
new wines, food products, wine and kitchen equipment, and books. Please send in an inquiry
using the contact page link at the lower left of this page.
Elliot in California's Santa Ynez Valley: April 2008
Elliot in Chinon, France: March 2008
Elliot, Thor and Selena Essman: November 2008
Copyright © Elliot Essman 2010 The URL of this site is: