Some smart ways to incorporate fats into the diet:
- Stay away from full fat dairy products. The body needs some fat, so favor the low-fat
varieties of milk, cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream and yogurt.
- Choose lean meats and poultry, avoiding meats high in saturated fats (bacon, hot
dogs, most beef and pork, sausages, processed meats).
- Pan fry in a little olive or canola oil rather than deep fry in a great deal of oil.
Even better, steam or dry bake foods.
- Stay away from trans fats in baked goods, snack foods and butter substitutes.
- Watch egg consumption and pay attention to cholesterol content in processed foods.