Foods that trigger irritable bowel flare-ups differ from person to person. Possibilities
- Foods high in insoluble fiber like bran cereals, quinoa, popcorn, seeds, nuts, whole
- Onions and garlic
- Condiments, particularly ketchup, barbecue sauce, soy sauce and relishes
- Wheat and wheat gluten from breads, cereals, crackers and pasta
- Dairy products
- Red meat and any fatty or fried food
- Beans, peas and lentils
- Raw vegetable, cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts
- Sweet products, sweeteners, including honey, sugar, and artificial sweeteners.
- Caffeinated, carbonated, and alcoholic beverages
You do not necessarily need to avoid every food or beverage listed above, just the
triggers that seem to affect the person in your care.