- Whole-wheat bread replaces white bread (but make sure that that bread is a true whole-wheat
and not just a health-labeled “all-natural” brand).
- Instead of white rice, prepare brown rice or wild rice.
- Instead of a sugar coated breakfast cereal, turn to a whole grain cereal. Bran flakes
are better than corn flakes.
- Serve whole-wheat pasta instead of regular pasta.
- Instead of instant oatmeal or hot cereals like cream of wheat, cook steel-cut oats
or rolled oats.
- Replace white potatoes with sweet potatoes, squash, or mashed cauliflower.
Serve foods (even the “right” foods) in moderate amounts. The slower the diabetic
consumes the food, the better.